Save The Children is looking to add a skilled Proposal Budget/Costing Specialist who is passionate about being a part of a global team of individuals committed to improving the lives of children in Nigeria.
The post holder is responsible for analyzing and determining the essential cost elements needed for each proposal submission, in relation to the donor’s requirements, and provides timely and effective leadership, guidance and support throughout the proposal development process. The Proposal Budget/Costing Specialist works as part of the Program Development and Quality team to assist in development of proposal budgets.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Head of Business Development
Staff directly reporting to this post:
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
- Thoroughly review solicitations/calls for funding and become an expert on funder instructions and requirements
- Develop proposal budget templates and guidance
- During proposals, work closely with technical advisors to identify and cost for project activities
- During proposals, work closely across all units such as Operations, Human Resource, Security, Logistics and Finance to identify and budget for operational costs
- Improve budgeting tools and processes within the Save the Children Nigeria CO, in line with Save the Children International and donor guidance
- Ensure that realistic, comprehensive and accurate budgets accompany all proposals
- Build staff capacity in budget development and budget-related areas of donor compliance; preferably including commercial contracts
QUALIFICATIONS, EXPERIENCE AND ATTRIBUTES
- Experience leading in the development of budgets for proposals for donors such as USAID, DFID, other bilaterals, foundations and/or corporations
- Experience with non-profit accounting, budget analysis and development
- Knowledge of donor rules and regulations
- Ability to work with technical experts to cost out proposed project activities
- Experience working with field office staff and/or headquarters staff to jointly develop proposal budgets
- Preference for candidates with contract/commercial budgeting experience
- Experience building the capacity of appropriate staff on the business/cost proposal process in accordance with Save the Children policies.
Master’s degree or equivalent experience in a related field required.
Minimum 5 years overall experience, with 2-3 years developing project budgets
- Exceptional analytical skills
- Demonstrated ability to work as part of a team to meet deliverables
- Ability to cost for complex programs
- Ability to communicate guidance clearly to non-Finance staff
- Attention to detail
- Excellent Excel skills