We’re looking for a self-driven, entrepreneurial individual with strong business development or project management experience to help lead Fenix into new countries across Africa, with an initial focus on Nigeria. This role will be based in Abuja, Lagos, or Port Harcourt, Nigeria for the first 12 months (at minimum) with frequent travel around the country visiting customers in rural areas. The role will also include 2 months minimum on-boarding at Fenix HQ in Kampala, Uganda.
Fenix International is a next-generation energy company. Our mission is to transform our customers’ quality of life through disruptive innovation in energy and financial services. Our flagship product, ReadyPay Solar, is an expandable, lease-to-own solar home system financed through affordable instalments starting under $0.19 per day. We use real-time transaction data to create a unique credit score to finance power upgrades and other life-changing loans and open up a wider world of energy and financing for our customers.
To date, Fenix has sold over 150,000 ReadyPay Power systems in Uganda, bringing clean, reliable power for lights, phones, radios, TV and much more to over 900,000 people in Uganda. In 2017, Fenix announced that it was joining forces with ENGIE, one of the world’s largest energy companies and a leader in the move to renewable, decentralised and digital energy. ENGIE will make significant commercial investments in Fenix to accelerate the path to our mission. Fenix will operate as a distinct and autonomous company within the ENGIE group in order to retain our unrelenting focus on innovation, smart iterative design, strong team culture and exceptional customer experience. Together, Fenix and ENGIE plan to bring life-changing energy and financial services to tens of millions of off-grid customers and to make universal access to modern energy a reality across Africa.
At Fenix, one of our core values is to think big and make things happen. As a Country Expansion Manager at Fenix, you will embody this value. Your focus will be leading Fenix’s Nigeria pilot operations by 1) designing a country-specific pilot strategy, 2) leading pilot execution, 3) supporting the transition to commercial launch, and 4) building and leading a high-performing team and a strong team culture at each step along the way. There is potential for this role to expand to new countries after a successful pilot, or to continue supporting Nigeria operations long-term.
- Conduct market entry assessments across multiple states in Nigeria to critically evaluate new markets for Fenix and determine market readiness across various geographic regions in Nigeria
- Develop relationships with relevant actors across states and maintain Fenix’s networks throughout the business environment
- Draft necessary business plans and financial models for priority states or regions in Nigeria
- Create country-wide hiring pipelines for key personnel and management, conducting initial screenings and interviews where appropriate
- Design, manage, and oversee pilots
- Set up pilot management systems and reporting structures, and lead a 3-6 month pilot on the ground in Nigeria
- Coordinate between strategic partners and Fenix teams to ensure pilot work plan alignment, especially on-time business integration as needed
- Onboard and manage pilot teams including sales, finance, operations, customer service, and more, and support a smooth transition from pilot to commercial launch
- Develop and manage pilot budgets and targets
- Throughout the pilot, monitor and test market requirements of product and pricing, marketing, sales, distribution, partner integration, and service with potential partners, as well as customer experience and country-specific customer insights, to inform commercialization strategies post-pilot
- Coordinate initial admin and operations, including undertaking the steps needed to operate legally in Nigeria and the logistics required to ensure delivery of pilot materials (stock) in target regions
- Set up systems to manage initial sales and repayments where solutions do not exist presently
- Help create a culture that recognizes and embraces Fenix’s vision and values, always encourages success, and supports all employees
- Provide management with regular reports on findings and progress
Project Management to Launch Commercially
- In collaboration with business development leadership, develop a commercialization strategy for Nigeria, acknowledging that different states may require different business models
- Manage the market entry timeline and recruiting plan for assigned markets
- Coordinate Fenix departments to successfully prepare for a soft launch and commercial sales in Nigeria
- Fulfill open functions on the launch team until key roles are filled
Required Skills & Experience
- Leadership & project management experience: we are looking for entrepreneurial candidates who have started or contributed significantly to scaling a company or project. We especially value candidates who have designed, executed, and scaled pilot projects and who have built great teams with a strong team culture.
- Experience living or working in Nigeria
- Exceptional analytical skills and ability to synthesize analysis into practical strategy recommendations
- Comfort and experience with cultivating strong relationships with external clients, whether in a board room or a rural off-grid community
- Outstanding written, verbal, and interpersonal communications skills (English)
- Excellent judgement and ability to work independently with little supervision
- Highly motivated by customer happiness and great team culture
- Three years’ minimum work experience in a relevant role
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in relevant field
Highly Desired Skills & Experience
- Experience living or working in a rural economy
- Financial modeling skills
- Knowledge of Quickbooks or similar accounting software
- Local language proficiency
Please submit your resume and cover letter through the job posting at www.fenixintl.com/careers/.
Fenix offers a competitive salary, and a fun, high-growth work environment. We recognize the value of diversity in our workforce, and encourage all qualified candidates to apply. We thank all candidates who choose to apply, however, only those selected for a further interview will be contacted.