About Last Mile Health
Founded by the survivors of Liberia’s civil war, Last Mile Health (LMH) saves lives in the world’s most remote communities. The organization specializes in the development and management of professionalized Community Health Workers who bridge the gap between the health system and remote communities, bringing critical services to the doorsteps of people living in the last mile. LMH’s programs are implemented hand-in-hand with community members, local government officials, national policy makers, and global partners to ensure sustainable impact.
Last Mile Health is a registered 501(c)3 non-profit organization with offices in Liberia, Boston and New York. For more information, visit www.lastmilehealth.org.
Under the supervision of the Deputy Country Director, the Director of Operations (DOO) leads the LMH Operations Department and ensures LMH’s operational activities are executed successfully in coordination and compliance with the Liberian government and relevant external stakeholders. S/he is responsible for building operational systems and ensuring all operations team members have the technical and management supports to execute their work. Overseeing supply chain management, procurement, fleet management, safety/security and IT functions in-country, the DOO ensures successful coordination of all operation units to support Last Mile Health’s programs reaching to the last mile.
This is a strategic leadership role in the organization, requiring consistent interface and coordination between the organization’s departments and senior leadership. This entails many roles, from projecting resource needs for LMH’s programmatic activities in Liberia, to ensuring the cross-site flow of resources and supplies, to supporting Last Mile Health’s field offices, and ensuring operational systems are developed and standardized across all LMH offices. The DOO works closely with the heads of departments and County Managers as well as government and external partners. The DOO should be a competent and thoughtful manager, committed to building the capacity of a growing sixty+ person team.
Essential Job Functions
· Lead LMH’s operations team, including monitoring performance, identifying and addressing any shortcomings that might affect overall organizational performance, and creating opportunities for staff growth and development in technical/management aspects of their roles.
- Ensure the functioning of LMH’s sites and staff teams in Liberia by supporting all site Operations Managers. In coordination with County Managers verify that county procurement and logistics policies are appropriate, documented, disseminated and required monitoring processes are effective for ensuring success of field activities.
- Assist logistics staff in working effectively with other units to improve planning and resource utilization across the organization
- Coordinate with LMH’s National Community Health Systems team and the Ministry of Health on operational systems, quality assurance, and best practices from field based implementation to support refinement of operational systems with the government.
- In coordination with the LMH Finance, RM&E, and Programs teams, and the Ministry of Health, introduce a logistics management information system that tracks requisition, distribution, and consumption
- Work with senior leadership to update, operationalize and enforce safety and security policies and procedures
- Revise or introduce systems and tools for ongoing monitoring and performance improvement,, including operational forecasting and distribution
- Conduct quality assurance reviews and recommend and prioritize solutions for organization systems performance or staff capacity
- Work across departments to encourage operational innovation and a unified culture
- Provide training to operational staff around new systems and procedures
- Serve on the Senior Management Team for LMH Liberia, collaborating with other department heads to steer the in-country activities
- BA/S in Business Administration, Supply Chain Management, Operation and Logistics, or relevant degree; MA/S preferred.
- Minimum of 5-7 years’ experience in developing and implementing operational systems for low-resource groups in remote settings
- Prior experience in supply chain management, logistics, IT, and safety/secuirty
- Strong understanding in project management systems, process design, and SOP development
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English
- Strong track record required for working effectively with range of stakeholders in the local context, including frontline health workers and national government agencies
- Experience working closely with employees recruited in a post-conflict or resource-poor settings
- High degree of English fluency required
- High level of initiative to innovate in resource-limited settings
- Generosity of spirit, cultural sensitivity, diplomacy
- Excellent intercultural communication skills
- Willingness to travel into the field, spend occasional nights in rural communities with few amenities, and travel by motorbike for field work
- Flexibility and ability to handle multiple tasks at one time in time-sensitive manner
- Comfort working with a casual but high-performing team.
- Demonstrated effective leadership and management experience and the ability to motivate and direct a team
Last Mile Health is an Equal Opportunity Employer; Female candidates are encouraged to apply too.