Due to our strong pipeline of projects within the transportation field we may have an opening for an experienced Engineering Manager.
If you would like to be the first one to hear about this opportunity when it will arise, submit an expression of interest now and let’s stay in touch.
The Engineering Manager is responsible for development and implementation of Design Definition/Employer’s Requirements, including preparation of Program Technical Design and Interface Plan, Configuration Plan, Systems Assurance Plan, Requirements Plan, and Safety Systems Plan. This role critically requires preparation of aforementioned plans for compliance with EN 50215 through 50219 for railway applications, including oversight of program partners for planning and coordination of engineering efforts to ensure that designs are executed in a cost effective, timely, and efficient manner. The Engineering Manager proactively ensures interfaces are managed by program partners, monitors and reports on the overall engineering quality and progress and fully supports the Program Director on all technical design matters.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- The Engineering Manager has the overall responsibility and accountability for the managing the planning and definition of the scope.
- Provides oversight of execution designs performed by program partners.
Responsible for the technical design performance of the program including:
- Preparing, implementing, and maintaining the Technical Design and Interface Management Plan.
- Contributing to the preparation of supporting management plans, including Risk Management, Quality Management, Change Management, Systems Assurance, Commissioning, Stakeholder Management and Coordination, etc.
- Establishing design basis parameters fulfilling the requirements of the client.
- Reviewing technical design deliverables of program partners and other design consultants, providing reviewer comments, and recommending non-objection/approval.
- Developing resolution for technical design issues and formally recommending to the client for instruction and implementation, including assessment of advantages and disadvantaged with potential liability issues.
- Ensuring all design deliverables meet or exceed the KPI’s of the nominated Performance Criteria, and are completed within budget.
- Providing technical advice and recommendations to the client and Program Director undertaking performance management.
- Consulting with the Program Director in the recruitment, retention and leadership and behaviours of the program team.
- Monitoring and mentoring the technical design experts to ensure that the program design outputs are subject to appropriate scrutiny and verification.
- Managing technical design resources to ensure maximum utilisation/optimisation.
- Manage all design matters between the client, key program stakeholders, program partners, other consultants, and external parties.
- Coordinate and provide full assistance to the Program Controls Manager, Contracts and Procurement Management, and other members of the program team for the monitoring, reporting and tracking of program design changes.
- Manage and co-ordinate all meetings in relation to the technical design.
- Responsible to establish, measure, maintain and lead an integrated design team within the successful delivery of program.
- Responsible for providing management and guidance on all technical design activities for the program.
- Establish, manage and monitor KPI’s related to technical design deliverables for the program.
- Assist the Project Controls Manager with the establishment of the design schedule, including resource loading and determination of milestones.
- Proactively identifies and manages scope variations, project and performance issues.
- As delegated by the Program Director, work with the client to provide successful leadership for planning, developing technical requirements, and implementing design procedures for the successful delivery of the program to high professional standards.
- Maintain and build competencies within the program management team and ensure succession for key roles and personnel
- Chair regular technical review sessions with the program management team and provide constructive guidance for future performance expectations to continuously improve program delivery.
- Exhibit the highest leadership, communication and negotiation skills to manage the program management team and program partners.
- Work closely with the client, program management team, and program partners to maintain high design standards, quality, consistency and technical coordination.
- Drives the safety culture developing a strong safety ethic within the program management team incorporated into the technical design.
- Minimum 20 years of related experience.
- Minimum of 10 years should be in a senior engineering management position.
- Experience in major railway transportation infrastructure programs during feasibility, detailed design, and construction phases.
- Active membership in professional/technical organization.
- Minimum 5 years of design experience in Europe, Middle East, or Africa preferable.
Specific skills required:
- Proven ability to perform in a management role.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Excellent negotiation skills.
- Thorough knowledge of design industry practices and regulations.
- Company/Business Line operations management experience.
- General knowledge of scheduling and cost engineering principles.
- Working knowledge of WBS development.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
- Detailed knowledge of design, procurement and construction processes and their inherent schedule and cost performance risks.
- Basis computer skills for scheduling software (P6, MS Project) and familiarity with project risk analysis.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong management and decision making skills.
- Capable of effectively communicating, both verbal and written, with all levels of program, operational, executive, and Client management.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Must have strong leadership skills and be able to motivate team members.
- Able to set priorities and meet critical time deadlines.
- Strong commercial skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Responsive to changing demands.
- Forward thinking.
- Flexibility of methods and approach to ensure delivery.
- Strong initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Makes decisions with a thorough understanding of procedures, professional standards, company policies and business practices to achieve results and deadlines. Must possess knowledge of risk management and recognition of decisions that may impact the project/program.
- Bachelor or Master’s degree in civil, railways, or mechanical engineering from an accredited university from western Europe, Unites States, Canada, Australia, Japan, South Korea, New Zealand or South Africa.
- Registration as a professional or chartered engineer required.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.