Project Background: The five-year Ghana Poultry Program (GPP), funded by the United States Department: of Agriculture (USDA) and implemented by ACDI/VOCA and TechnoServe, has been established to increase the competitiveness of the domestic production and processing of poultry meat and eggs. The goal of the project is to support the development of the agricultural value chain in Ghana through increased agricultural productivity and expanded trade of agricultural products
The Consultant will provide two-week environmental compliance technical support to the Ghana Poultry Project. The activities undertaken by the GPP project may have a negative environmental impact particularly related to increasing the number of poultry in a concentrated area. To address these issues for environmental and human health risk reduction, GPP considers it necessary to undertake an initial environmental assessment. This will ensure compliance with ACDI/VOCA’s policies and Ghana environmental laws and policies.
The overall goal based on the initial assessment will be to identify technical mitigation options and address potential environmental and human health concerns. Medium to large scale poultry production units generally can potentially have the follow negative impacts: Landscape degradation; Pollution of soil and water with nutrients, pathogens and heavy metals bad odor emissions – ammonia (NH3), volatile organic compounds (VOCs) and hydrogen sulphide (H2S), improper disposal of poultry carcasses, litter & feed waste can lead to pollution of water and facilitate the spread of disease.
- Review award document, work-plan, other technical material concerning medium to large-scale poultry production.
- Execute an in-depth environmental screening for the poultry sector in Ghana.
- Visit and evaluate EPA policymakers, poultry production systems, waste disposal, distribution and storage systems.
- Identify natural resources (water, soil, air) and biodiversity (sensitive areas and parks, rare species, natural bodies of water) that may be at risk from poultry production operations, and identify measures to mitigate risks.
- Develop a compliance Environmental mitigation and monitoring plan for GPP that adheres to USG and Ghana national environmental management policies and monitoring programs
- Write the second draft of a technical EMMP for the GPP Project based upon the research above, and submit for ACDI/VOCA and USDA review.
- Assist GPP Project implementation partners to create initial work plans that integrate the EMMP to achieve health and environment standards.
- Develop a system for using completed and signed-off work plans and other monitoring tools/questionnaires to check compliance.
- Provide train the trainer (TOT) courses environmental best practice including training on 22 CFR compliance, the EMMP Process, as well as on certification and trade issues.
- Conduct any other activities necessary to ensure GPP compliance with USAID/USDA and national environmental regulations.
- Master’s degree in Environmental Management/Conservation or similar field required.
- Minimum of ten years of progressively responsible experience in the development sector conducting environment-related studies and/or advising on and ensuring compliance with environmental and natural resource conservation.
- Experience in developing Initial Environmental Examinations (IEEs) and other environmental screening methodologies for the poultry and/or livestock sector.
- Knowledge of USG regulations, especially environmental regulations.
- Demonstrated competence to assess priorities, and concurrently manage a variety of activities effectively to meet deadlines with attention to detail and quality.
- Strong communication skills, with demonstrated verbal, writing and editing skills.
Total LOE will be up to 21 days.
Please apply online at www.acdivoca.org.international-jobs and also via the button below. No phone calls, please. Only finalists contacted. Women and minorities encouraged to apply. EOE.