Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible.
In a disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within. Now, and for the future. We help communities survive and move beyond emergencies.
When natural disasters strike, economies collapse or conflict flares, Mercy Corps is there. We see global challenges as an invitation to pioneer innovative, sustainable solutions.
Mercy Corps is looking for a committed and dynamic individual to take up the following position:
Program / Department Summary:
The Mercy Corps Finance Department is responsible for all financial functions in Kenya, including accounting, payments and banking, payroll, budgeting, financial reporting, and grant financial management and compliance.
Mercy Corps Finance Department ensures compliance with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures.
In its role as a support to the Program Department, the Finance Department provides timely reports and assistance to the Country Director and the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively.
Senior Finance Job Responsibilities
- Support in preparation of monthly bank reconciliations
- Maintain custody of the office cash fund and make daily payments of approved transactions
- Prepare cash payment vouchers and ensure that all cash transactions are fully and properly documented
- Review expense reports (travel expense reports and operational expense reports) for accuracy and completeness and ensure that expense reports have been fully approved before payment
- Perform weekly cash count as per FFM
- Record payment vouchers daily in the Field Connection Accounting System
- Maintain field advance tracker file and prepare past due advance tracker for the Senior Finance and Reporting Officer
- Preparing cheques based on fully approved & finance reviewed documents and present for signing
- File all cash and bank batch vouchers and maintain voucher filing system such that files are updated, complete and safeguarded
- Maintain the bank file, ensuring that all bank information is properly filed and updated
- Assist with month end balance sheet account reconciliations
- Make sure that all supporting documentation is prepared and filed according to MC procedures.
- Assists in subgrants management & compliance at field office
- Conduct himself/herself both professionally and personally in such a manner as to bring credit to Mercy Corps and to not jeopardize its humanitarian mission
- Other duties as assigned.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve, we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Accountability to Beneficiaries:
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring, and evaluation of our field projects.
- Reports Directly To: Country Finance Manager
- Directly With: Nairobi Finance Team, Program Team and Operations Team
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
Requirements for the Senior Finance Job
- At least four years of accounting or bookkeeping experience;
- A degree in accounting or a relevant business field;
- Strong computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel;
- Familiarity with computerized, double-entry accounting software;
- Strong organizational skills as well as attention to detail;
- Experience working in an International Non-Governmental Organization is an added advantage;
- Excellent oral and written English skills.
- A clear understanding of finance and procurement ethics as well as the willingness and ability to enforce compliance with Mercy Corps and donor policies and procedures;
- The ability to interact effectively with international and national staff members is required;
- A demonstrated ability to work quickly, accurately, meet deadlines, and process information in support of changing program activities is necessary
How to Apply
Interested candidates who meet the above-required qualifications and experience should submit a Cover Letter and detailed Curriculum Vitae (CV) listing three professional references (including a recent supervisor) by Clicking on The Apply Button on or before 12th December, 2017.
The email subject line must clearly show the job title and location they are applying for. Applications without an appropriate subject heading will be automatically disqualified. Please do not attach any certificates.
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.