Mercy Corps is a leading global organization powered by the belief that a better world is possible. In disaster, in hardship, in more than 40 countries around the world, we partner to put bold solutions into action – helping people triumph over adversity and build stronger communities from within.
We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Program Assistant (EU MAIDA)
Program / Department Summary
- The MAIDA programme will directly support the recovery of at least 70,000 women, men, girls and boys who are returnees, IDPs and members of host communities affected by the Boko Haram insurgency in southern and central Borno State.
- The objective of MAIDA is to increase the social cohesion and resilience to economic, social and climate related shocks in Borno State in an environmentally-conscious way.
- Four interrelated and mutually reinforcing intermediate outcomes will contribute to achieving this objective.
- First, MAIDA will restore and improve rural livelihoods in an ecologically sustainable manner by enabling households to take advantage of existing and new agricultural market opportunities.
- In parallel, adolescents and youth will be empowered as economic actors in their communities through access to employment, diversified livelihood opportunities, vocational training and business development initiatives.
- These outcomes will be reinforced by improved access to social protection and community-based services for women, youth, adolescent breadwinners and other at-risk groups.
- Finally, overall social cohesion will be strengthened within and between conflict-affected communities and environmental resource management will be improved in areas of displacement and return.
- Sectors of intervention will include market-led and climate-smart livelihood and employment opportunities, vocational training for youth, social and economic protection and community reintegration and peace building.
- Economic recovery activities will build resilience through Making Markets Work for the Poor (M4P) market systems-based models, reducing poverty by enhancing the ways that poor and vulnerable households interact with markets.
General Position Summary
- The Program Assistant will provide all required logistics, procurement, administrative and general program support.
- This will also include providing capacity building support and maintenance of all operational systems, as well as supporting the program with the development of relationships with government, NGOs, and private sector partners.
Essential Job Responsibilities
- Assist program officers to track program progress according to the developed schedule and work plan, including community mobilization, beneficiary registration, community sensitization and coordination in the target geographical locations.
- Assist in promoting community participation including organizing for community meetings and inclusion so as to encourage community ownership over activities implemented and ensure equal representation of various community groups during implementation.
- Conduct program promotion messaging to ensure the messages developed address the current knowledge and practices gaps, messages channels are in line with those most commonly used by the communities.
- Support the Program Officers in conducting trainings to Mercy Corps community volunteers and committees on community sensitization and messages delivery.
- Attend coordination meetings, whenever delegated.
- Together with the Program Officer, ensure inclusion of protection principles like gender segregation, adaptation to meet the gender-specific and disablement needs, in the design and implementation of the program.
- Organize and conduct focus group discussion on Livelihood related topics
- Maintain procurement, financial, and administrative systems
- Provide ongoing support in maintaining these systems, problem-solving, and functioning as a focal point for communications with operations, human resources and finance team.
- Facilitate and organize all required meetings with internal departments as well as external contacts to communicate accurate and up-to-date information as and when required
- Assist in organizing all logistics for trainings, workshops, events and other activities including flight bookings and procuring office supplies.
- Assist in maintaining of work calendars (internal and external).
- Take meeting minutes and circulate to identify recipient lists as and when required.
- Assist in development of TORs and contracts for events and consultancies.
Accountability To Beneficiaries:
- Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work.
- Supervisory Responsibility: None
- Reports Directly to: Programme Manager
- Works Directly with: Finance, Program and Operation Teams.
Requirements, Knowledge and Experience
- 1-2 years of working experience. Previous experience in community work is highly preferred.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain good relation with the local communities and project beneficiaries.
- Demonstrated skills in planning, organizing and reporting
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent experience is highly recommended
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal, intercultural and communication skills
- Excellent oral and written skills and computer skills
- Fluency in English; fluency in Hausa is required.
- The successful candidate will be an effective communicator, with dedication towards community work, commitment to work long hours in the field conditions with limited access to resources.
- S/He will be highly motivated, with initiative and capable to work without direct supervision.
- S/he will be willing to conduct field travels and work in ethnically and culturally diversified and fast growing team.
Application Closing Date
3rd January, 2018.
How to Apply
Interested and qualified candidates should send their CV’s and Cover Letter in one document, addressing the position requirements to:
click the button below to apply
- All applications must include the position title in the subject line and not more than 4 pages.
- Only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview and we are an equal opportunity organization so women are strongly encouraged to apply for this position.