BACKGROUND AND OBJECTIVES:
Ghana confirmed outbreak of circulating Vaccine-Derived Poliovirus Type 2 (cVDPV2) in August 2019 in the Northern Region. The outbreak has since spread to nine other regions in the country. With the onset of the COVID-19 pandemic, response activities to the polio outbreak were largely suspended. In order to prevent further spread of the poliovirus, the country will restart implementation of polio outbreak response activities to help break transmission.
The Global Polio Eradication Initiative (GPEI) seeks to ensure that future generations of children will be free from the threat of polio. Achieving this goal depends on interrupting poliovirus transmission and on ensuring rapid and effective responses to poliovirus outbreaks occurring in polio-free countries
GPEI Strategy for the response to circulating Vaccine-Derived Poliovirus Type 2 (cVDPV2) 2020–2021, offers contingency measures across four mutually supportive areas of work: 1. enhanced outbreak response; 2. vaccine supply and usage; 3. early detection of new outbreaks; and 4. communication and promotion. Countries experiencing cVDPV2 outbreaks are expected to implement these strategies and break transmission within the shortest possible time.
The World Health Organization (WHO) Country Office for Ghana seeks to engage highly motivated professionals to support the implementation of polio outbreak response activities.
Description of duties:
• The incumbent works under the supervision of the Operations Officer and the general supervision of the WHO Representative. The Operations Officer identifies trips/assignments. Incumbent has some flexibility for planning and scheduling routes. Manuals available for use are Traffic instructions/street plans; WR/Operations Officer directives/instructions; and Vehicles maintenance manual.
Summary of Assigned Duties
• Drives office vehicles to provide transportation of authorized personnel and delivery and collection of mail, documents and other items;
• Meets official personnel at the airport and facilitates immigration and customs formalities as required;
• Responsible for the day-to-day maintenance of the assigned vehicle, checks oil, water, battery, brakes, tires, etc., performs minor repairs and arranges for other repairs, regular servicing and ensures that the vehicle is kept clean;
• Logs official trips, daily mileage, gas consumptions, oil changes, greasing, etc.;
• Ensures that the steps required by the rules and regulations are taken in case of involvement in accident;
• Performs other duties as required.
Qualification Required & Experience
Essential: A minimum of Junior Secondary School Certificate or equivalent and Driving license – Grade C or above
• Essential: At least 2 years’ driving experience as a driver and a safe driving record
Desirable: UN experience would be an advantage
• Knowing and managing yourself
• Producing results
• Fostering integration and team work
• Knowledge of written and spoken English and working knowledge of local language will be an asset.
How To Apply For The Job
To submit your application, click on the link below and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
Closing Date: 08 July, 2020