People Operations Officer
Bridge International Academies is an education innovation organization that designs technology-enabled, national-syllabus aligned primary and nursery school content to empower communities to give children a high-quality education.
Bridge directly operates over 460 schools across Kenya, Uganda and Nigeria, and acts as a government school operator for 68 public primary and nursery schools in Liberia.
Bridge works with parents, teachers and communities to provide the technology, training and resources to provide under-served communities with the support they need to deliver an education to their children that engages their hearts and minds and ensures that they will complete primary school literate and numerate and able to take on the world.
Do you believe that every child deserves the same quality of education no matter where they live, or who their parents are? Do you think that we need innovation in education? Do you want to challenge the status quo? Then join us!
Bridge is now the largest education organization in Africa and one of the fastest growing social enterprises in the world.
We are looking for passionate, dedicated and energetic people to join our rapidly growing organization. If you believe in our mission and are looking for a fast-paced and continuously changing working environment with room to grow and learn, we are looking for you!
People Operations at Bridge
People are at the core of what we do, from the teachers in our academies to software developers building our tech platform – and we do it at massive scale with rapid growth. The People Operations team is the key in unlocking “people potential” towards achieving our company’s goals.
What You Will Do
- Onboarding Process: lead and “quarterback” teams from IT, Admin, etc. in ensuring that staff are successfully onboard
- Separations Process: lead and “quarterback” separations processes, including department, asset, and financial handovers – involves IT, Admin, and Payroll Accountant
- Payroll Verification: work with Payroll Accountant to ensure that all contractors and employees are properly represented with the right deductions/additions, if any. Generate monthly report for managers on headcount
- Staff Benefits: supporting staff with questions about health coverage, managing additions to coverage, dealing with other health coverage issues
- Immigration/Work Permits/Expat Services: dealing with immigration issues/working with immigration consultants
- Asset Management: ensure that all staff have the assets they need; deal with asset recovery processes and exchanges/one-off needs. Heavy interfacing with IT and Admin
- Leave Management: assist employees with leave, generate monthly report for managers on leave balances
- Disciplinary Procedures: work with the HR Director on managing these procedures
- Appeals, Grievances, Investigations: lead these processes with some direction from the HR Director
- Staff Documentation: ensuring that offer letters, contracts, probation confirmations, and change of status documents are appropriately handled
What You Should Have
- A Bachelor’s Degree, preferably with Business Administration and/or Human Resources course specialization, with exemplary academic performance
- Minimum of four years of full-time work experience in Human Resources
- Good working knowledge of Microsoft Office; technologically competent/quick learner
- Work experience in fast-growth, rapid-scale contexts, particularly with large numbers of field staff
- IHRM certified
- Strong adherence to systems and process
- Experience working with a culturally and socioeconomically diverse workforce
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
- High energy and enthusiasm level; willingness to do whatever necessary to get the job done
- Demonstrated Knowledge in Microsoft Dynamics NAV
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done, with at least 2 years of experience. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind– You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network in Nigeria from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver– Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, Bridge works in volatile, low-resource communities and runs on fees averaging just $6 a month per pupil. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand. Every dollar you spend is a dollar our customers, who live on less than $2 a day, will have to pay for.
- A customer advocate– Our customers – these families living on less than $2 a day per person – never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their customer benefit, experience, and value.
- A life-long learner – You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.