Due to our strong pipeline of projects within the transportation field we may have an opening for an experienced Program Director.
If you would like to be the first one to hear about this opportunity when it will arise, submit an expression of interest now and let’s stay in touch.
The Project Director has the overall responsibility and accountability for delivering AECOM program management services to the client for delivery of a railway system for the nation of Ghana, while retaining sole responsibility for AECOM’s position for profit and loss. Responsible for providing overall leadership and direction to the AECOM program team for development and implementation of strategic planning, business planning, governance, development agreements, resource strategy/management, design definition/employer’s requirements, and key success factors. The Program Director will provide other key personnel and senior managers with direction for execution of all agreed program services supporting client objectives and vision to the prescribed scope, budget, schedule and consistent levels of quality, health, safety and environment.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Drives the safety culture in developing a strong safety ethic within the program management team and incorporated into program services.
- Provides executive direction for the performance of all agreed services in a professional, legal, ethical, and safe manner.
- Required to support business development activities related to management of changes in services requested by the client, with responsibilities for preparation of technical and financial proposals, presentations to client and, where delegated authority, perform or provide support during negotiations.
- The Program Director has the overall responsibility and accountability for managing any combination of the assessment, selection, definition, execution, and operation phases of program management services.
Responsible for technical performance of the program including:
- Preparing, implementing, and maintaining the Program Management Plan with specific responsibility for the Program Execution Plan and Program Management Plan.
- Contributing to the preparation of supporting management plans, including Risk Management, Quality Management, Change Management, Systems Assurance, Commissioning, Stakeholder Management and Coordination, etc.
- Establishing basic program parameters fulfilling the requirements of the client.
- Reviewing technical deliverables of other management consultants, design consultants, and contractors with the objective of recommending no-objection/approval or identifying non-compliance.
- Developing resolution for technical program issues and formally recommending to the client for instruction and implementation, including assessment of advantages and disadvantages with potential liability issues.
- Ensuring all program deliverables meet or exceed the key performance indicators (KPIs) and are completed within budget.
- Consulting with the Africa Country Manager and SVP EMEA – Program Management and Rail in the recruitment, retention, leadership, and behaviours of the program management team.
- Monitoring and mentoring the program management team to ensure that program outputs are subject to appropriate scrutiny and verification.
- Managing resources of program management team to ensure maximum engagement and efficiency.
- Management of all program matters between key program stakeholders – client, other consultants, contractors and external parties.
- Coordinate and provide full assistance to the program management team for the monitoring, reporting and tracking of program deliverables and changes.
- Manage and co-ordinate all client meetings in relation to the program services and defined responsibilities. Chair regular program meetings and review sessions with the client and program management team to provide constructive guidance for future performance expectations to continuously improve program delivery.
- Ensures the Program Controls Manager establishes and secures client approval for the program schedule, including resource loading and determination of key milestones.
- Ensures the Program Controls Manager establishes and secures client approval for the baseline budget and changes to the baseline budget.
- Proactively identifies and manages scope variations and performance issues.
- Work with the client to provide successful leadership for planning, developing program requirements and implementing program plans and procedures for the successful delivery of program services to established standards.
- Maintain and build competencies within the program management team and ensure succession planning and implementation for key roles and personnel.
- Exhibit the highest leadership, communication and negotiation skills to manage the program personnel and delivery.
- Work closely with the client and program management team, and other consultants, to maintain high standards, quality, consistency and coordination.
- Complete proficiency in AECOM Project Information Center (APIC) reporting requirements for monthly Estimate at Completion (EAC).
- Complete proficiency in AECOM Major Programs Systems (APMS).
- Minimum 25+ years of related program experience.
- Active membership in professional/technical organization.
- Minimum 5 years of construction experience in Europe, Middle East, or Africa preferable.
Specific skills required:
- Excellent supervisory and training capability.
- Company/Business Line operations management experience.
- Expert knowledge of scheduling and cost engineering principles.
- Working knowledge of WBS development.
- Working knowledge of Earned Value Management Systems (EVMS).
- Detailed knowledge of design, procurement and construction processes and their inherent schedule and cost performance risks.
- Familiarity of working in the Europe, Middle East or Africa.
- Computer skills, knowledge of scheduling software (P6, MS Project) and familiarity with project risk analysis.
- Exceptional analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong leadership skills.
- Strong management and decision making skills.
- Capable of effectively communicating, both verbal and written, with all levels of program, operational, executive, and Client management.
- Must have excellent communication, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Must have strong leadership skills and be able to motivate team members.
- Able to set priorities and meet critical time deadlines.
- Strong commercial skills.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Responsive to changing demands.
- Forward thinking.
- Flexibility of methods and approach to ensure delivery.
- Strong initiative.
- Ability to work under pressure
- Complete proficiency in AECOM APIC or ePM reporting requirements for completion of monthly Estimate at Completion (EAC).
- Complete proficiency in AECOM Major Programs Systems (APMS
- Makes decisions with a thorough understanding of procedures, professional standards, company policies and business practices to achieve results and deadlines. Must possess knowledge of risk management and recognition of decisions that may impact the project/program.
- Bachelor or Masters Degree in Engineering from accredited university in Western Europe, United States, Canada, Japan, South Korea, Australia, New Zealand or South Africa.
- Related field or similar project experience required.
- Chartered or Registration as a Professional Engineer preferred.
What We Offer
AECOM is a place where you can put your innovative thinking and business skills into high gear and work alongside other highly intelligent and motivated people. It’s a place where you can apply your skills to some of the world’s most challenging, interesting, and meaningful projects worldwide. It’s a place that values the diversity of our areas of practice and our people. It’s what makes AECOM a great place to work and grow. AECOM is an Equal Opportunity Employer.