Government of Malawi recognizes the vital role that the microfinance and financial cooperative sector plays in the social economic development of the Country. Noting that the formal financial sector in Malawi remains small and that outreach remains concentrated to a narrow client base, Government has, through the Reserve Bank of Malawi taken a leading role in the development of the infrastructure, a policy and institutional framework aimed at growing the financial sector’s capacity to increase outreach.
A key intervention in these reforms is the implementation of the Financial Sector Technical Assistance Project (FSTAP) which the government is financing with credit from the International Development Association (IDA) of the World Bank implemented by the Reserve Bank of Malawi. The project aims at increasing access to finance for the currently unbanked but bankable population of Malawi
It is for this reason that one of the key interventions envisaged under FSTAP is the establishment of the Microfinance Transaction Processing Hub (the Hub) that will enable the microfinance and financial cooperative sector share interoperable electronic data processing infrastructure for their Management Information System (MIS) requirements.
In this regard, the MFI Hub Company Limited was recently incorporated to manage contracts of and at various degrees and levels. The Company therefore seeks to recruit an experienced and dynamic team that will run the operations of the Company. The team must be firmly committed to delivering activities of the Hub. The contract for the position will be for 3 years subject to renewal upon successful performance. The position will be tenable at the Company’s head office in Blantyre.
Technical Services Support Officer
Reporting to CEO
Technical Services support officer is responsible for decoding and coordinating technical services support requests, queries, comments, suggestions and initiatives between the hub company and service providers, overall he/she shall ensure highest quality of support services to minimize downtime and shall be the advisor to the CEO on all IT related matters.
Key duties and responsibilities
- Receive and log all user complaints and channel them to the right provider for resolution.
- Provide a link between users and service providers on all technical issues.
- Keep users informed of any new developments from service providers
- Advise the Contracts Manager of all technical matters.
- Explore and recommend technological advancements or technology based services that can benefit the hub and its members
- Provide first level training to hub users at all levels or coordinate training requests and facilitate arrangement for the same.
- Management networks within the hub company and between it, its members and service providers.
- Trouble shoot, diagnose and repair hub IT equipment or recommend for outsourcing of such services.
- In conjunction with both the hardware and software vendors ensures high availability of host computers and network resources. This task includes developing procedures to maintain security and access and protect against viruses, hackers, vandals, acts of God, and accidental user mistakes.
- Develops plans, procedures, and activities to support business recovery when problems occur including backup and restoration procedures, vendor agreements, spare parts, data retention, and restoration planning for the hub Company.
- Stays current with technological developments related to computer hardware, software, and networks, as well as management practices which involves reading publications, subscribing to Internet lists, attending conferences and workshops, and meeting with colleagues.
- Oversees the development of Requests for Proposal (RFP) and Invitation for Bid (IFB) related to the Hub’s information systems infrastructure, data centre and Hubs owned telephone and network systems.
- Working with the Contracts Manager to negotiate vendor structure
- Any other duties as assigned from time to time.
The successful candidate will have:
- Degree in Management Information System, Information Technology, Business Information Systems, Computer Science
- At least 3 years of technical experience in financial sectors technical support services.
- Knowledge of Novell, HP-UX, Windows, and Linux servers and network operating systems; wide area networks, telephone systems, internet services, electronic mail, web services, microcomputers and other hardware and a variety of software.
- Reports on queries received and resolved or outstanding to the CEO.
- Suggestions on technological developments.
- Number of trainings conducted.
How to Apply
The position will attract generous benefits package including a competitive salary
To apply for the position candidates must submit detailed Curriculum Vitae with three referees, covering letter plus copies of certificates to:-
The Board Chairperson,
MFI Hub Company Limited,
Plot No. CH/M/114 Sanjika/Chilomoni Road,
PO Box 725,
to our email address:
Women are encouraged to apply. The dosing date for receiving applications is 15 December, 2017