From AI-powered personal assistants to self-driving cars to cloud computing, technology is rapidly evolving – and nations around the world are putting in much effort to catch up and capitalize on it. Ghana is not an exception as both public and private are investing large amounts of resources to ensure that we do not get left behind.
One key factor that will ensure that all these resources are utilized to create the desired results and not wasted, is the availability of well qualified and highly skilled IT professionals that can effectively dissect the limitations we are facing and devise solutions to them appropriately. This is where quality IT educational institutions come in.
In this article, I will be pinning two of some of the best IT schools here in Ghana head to head; NIIT Ghana and DWTA.
Their Back Story
NIIT, an acronym for the National Institute of Information Technology, was first established in India in 1981. It was established here in Ghana in May 2000, at Ring Road Central, Accra. Today, NIIT has Four (4) centers in Ghana, with a capacity of training more than 15,000 students per annum.
They are regarded as one of the leading IT training institutions we have in this country, taking into consideration their track record and the quality of professionals they produce annually. Their main goal, as stated on their website, is to build a pool of professionals for the knowledge-based economy, champion the origin of life long learning and encourage the creation of a world-class resource, which I think they are doing good on that.
DevWorld Tech Academy
For Devworld Tech Academy ( DWTA), we are located at Ashaley Botwe School Junction, Accra. We believe in imparting not only knowledge into our students but the practical as well as soft skills needed for success. We do this by teaching all concepts in a very practical and project-oriented approach while giving them mentorship to make them well-grounded. Head on to our About Page to find out more about us.
NIIT Study Programs
NIIT has grouped its courses into two categories. These are the Diploma Programs and the Certificate Programs.
The Diploma Programs
They have four programs under this category. These are:
- Software Engineering
- Infrastructure Management
- Web Development
- Network Engineering
- Certificate in Graphic Design
- Management Information Systems
- MS Office Pro
- System Support & Maintenance
- Hardware & Networking
- Certificate in Web Design
- Oracle Database
- Certified Information Security Auditor (CISA)
- Certificate in Cybersecurity
- Python Programming
- Certificate in Network Support and Maintenance (CompTIA N+)
- Certificate In Android Application Development
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP)
- Certified Digital Marketing Associate
- Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA)
All their courses last from 12 to 24 months.
There is one thing that anyone who is abreast of the latest developments and trends in technology will quickly identify when they go through this list. That is, they do not offer most of the newer and most in-demand courses nowadays such as Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Cloud Computing.
These courses are currently the hottest in the tech industry, as almost all the latest technologies are influenced by the application of their knowledge. At DWTA, we know that these are the technologies that will shape the very near future, hence we have made such courses our priority – to make sure no our dear country and the human resources do not get left behind. Check out our courses below.
DWTA Study Programs
We have grouped our courses into three categories. These are the Certificate Courses, Diploma Courses, and the Advanced Diploma courses. Each category has its unique set of faculties and study programs that are structured to help the students get the best of quality knowledge and practical skills.
- Certificate Courses
The certificate courses are the starting point at DWTA. Courses under this last for a total of 6-9 months. This is broken down into sessions that last for three months each. It contains 5 faculties which contain the courses that are well-tailored and are focused on the latest technologies to help kickstart the career of any aspiring IT professional. These are the faculties:
- Faculty of Artificial Intelligence, Data Science & Cloud Computing
This houses courses like Algorithms, Big Data, Cloud Computing, etc
- Faculty of Game, Software, Mobile and Game Design.
This includes courses like Game Design and Development,
Software Design and Development, Android App Development, etc.
- Faculty of Programming, Cyber Security and Computer Ethics.
It also houses the courses; Python 3 Programming, Cyber Security, etc.
- Faculty – Digital, Graphic & Product Design
- Faculty – Digital Business, Digital Marketing, Digital Sales
Click here to see the full list of courses in the faculties above and their tuition plans.
- Diploma Courses
Our diploma is also tailored and based on the latest and industry-relevant technologies that will enable you to learn and develop your IT skills from our team IT experts who interact with these technologies daily. Courses in this category come in 4 sessions per year thus lasts 12 months.
The diploma courses come with access to five levels of real-world projects that ensure that students get and develop the practical grasp of every concept being taught.
Under it are four strong faculties housing a wide range of the latest and trending courses in technology. The faculties are as follows:
- Faculty of Artificial Intelligence, Data Science & Cloud Computing
- Faculty of Game, Software, Mobile & Web Development
- Faculty of Programming, Cyber-Security, Computer Ethics
- Faculty of Digital, Graphic & Product Design
These faculties facilitate the trending courses in technology such as:
- Machine Learning
- AI Foundations and Deep Learning
- Cloud Computing
- iOS Development for Creative Entrepreneurs
- Responsive Web Design and Development
Click here to see the full list of all the courses in the faculties and their tuition plans
- Advanced Diploma
This category is for those who want to take their career a step further. It also has four faculties like the diploma category but with more advanced courses and projects. It also comes in 4 sessions, plus 1 extra session which the graduates use to work on their various path projects.
In addition to the four project types available to those offering diploma programs, students get the chance to take up Path Projects that are in line with their career paths; either they want to want to become a freelancer, an employee or entrepreneur. The projects are not carried out in the school but in industry, settings to make the graduates familiar with the environments.
Click here to see the full list of all the courses under this category and their tuition plans.
When it comes to attaining IT education in Ghana, one of the main constraints that people are faced with is the fees of the courses and their tuition. Hence it becomes a lifesaver for many when they can get quality IT schools that offer great courses as well as tuition but at affordable fees.
Fees of NIIT
The tuition fees of NIITS’ courses are generally high. They run two types of payment methods; a one-time full payment for some of their courses and a per-semester payment for the rest ( mostly for the Diploma courses).
Fees for the one-time payment plan ranges from 1350 GHC to as high as 8350 GHC. Those for the per-semester plan range from 3600 GHC. Below are some of their courses and respective fees:
- Software Engineering: 3600 GHC per semester.
- Infrastructure Management: 3600 GHC per semester.
- Web Development: 5000 GHC one-time fee.
- Network Engineering: 8350 GHC one-time fee.
- Certificate in Graphic Design: 1700 GHC program fee.
- Management Information Systems: 2800 GHC program fee.
- Hardware & Networking: 2350 GHC program fee.
- Cisco Certified Network Professional (CCNP): 5000 GHC program fee.
DWTA Tuition Fees
At DWTA, we believe that quality IT education is a very essential venture of this generation and thus it should be made accessible to as many that have the desire and passion to pursue it. For this reason, we have our courses to be very affordable, without compromising their quality. Our course materials are recognized globally and are used by millions of students globally.
Our fees are structured to be the same across the five main faculties that run through all the three-course categories. The only factor that makes the price difference, however, is the duration of the course in which you are enrolled. Check the fees out below:
- Faculty of Data Science, Artificial Intelligence and Cloud Computing: 1500 GHC per session.
- Digital, Graphic, and Product Design: 1200 GHC per session.
- Programming, Cyber Security and Computer Ethics: 1300 GHC per session.
- The game, Software, Mobile and Web Development: 1300 GHC per session.
- Faculty of Digital Business, Digital Marketing, and Digital Sales: 1300 GHC per session.
We have tried and tested this structure and found out that it has and will continue to help thousands of ambitious and serious IT professional aspirants tp get high quality at a very affordable price.
NIIT has a simple and straight forward enrollment process. They are enumerated below:
- The applicants must understand the admission requirements for the program they are interested in & register their interest online.
- They then visit nearest NIIT Centre to speak to an NIIT course advisor
- After that, they determine their best program based on their interests and career preferences
- They then provide supporting documents like educational qualifications details, photographs, etc
- Finally, they complete the admission forms and make the fee payment and then begin schooling.
Likewise, we also have a very simple and straightforward enrollment process, since simplicity, most times is the best. They are outlined below:
- Visit the Admission Requirements page and get familiar with what it will take become a student of DWTA.
- Visit and review our Programs page and decide what course you want to study and at what level you want to study it.
- From there, visit the Online Applications page to apply online, or use the Contact Page to get in touch with us if you have any questions.
- Your admission will be reviewed and we will call you to discuss your admission. After that, if you are accepted, conditional acceptance will be emailed to you.
- When done, you then pay your tuition fees stated on the conditional acceptance to keep your admission spot.
- When paid, we will email you an unconditional acceptance letter proving your spot has been reserved. Also, we will inform when to come for your study starter pack.
- After all, has been completed, you start your class on the date stated on your unconditional acceptance letter.
Careers in IT and the field of technology as a whole are the Gold Rush this modern age as nations, big companies among others are willing to pay large amounts of money and honor to professionals who can help them catch up with tech’s fast-paced advancements.
Getting not just any education, but a high quality IT education that will give you an edge over others will be the best preparation you can make to take advantage of this opportunity. I have neatly laid out the best institutions here in Ghana to get your IT education and set yourself up for success. The ball now is in your court.